help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] extension to gengetopt

From: Matt Junker
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] extension to gengetopt
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:04:06 -0600

Lorenzo,

Here is my man page creator.  As I warned, it is still very crude.  The main
function is in parser.y.  I used my coding standard from work most of the
time, so the format is inconsistent.

It parses the .ggo data and also puts lines that begin with "#:" directly in
the text (with the "#:" removed).  See the included .ggo file and run the
application for an example.

My makefile is very localized, so I wrote build-gnu.sh for you to use.

A common use for this is to add headers to groups of options in the
following way:

#:.TP
#:Header
... options ...

Another use is to continue the description of an option, such as

option "opt" o "description" no
#:more description
#:even more description

This will create man output something like:
    -o, --opt
        description more description even more description

To get separate lines, insert a blank "#:" line.

option "opt" o "description" no
#:more description
#:
#:even more description

    -o, --opt
        description more description

        even more description

Problems:
* If the "#text" feature is used, a similar set of "#text" lines will be
required.  The "#text" lines will all be separate lines.
* Does not put anything other than "[OPTIONS]" in the synopsis.
* Should be integrated with gengetopt, instead of stand alone.

Matt