help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Use argp for nicer output and more flexibility?

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Use argp for nicer output and more flexibility?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:57:54 +0200

Hi there

I don't know argp actually (could you please point me to some quick reference about it).

If you list what you would like from gengetopt generated code, I could try to implement it as soon as possible (e.g. how you'd like the output with --help, and so on).

I look forward to hearing from you

cheers
        Lorenzo

Simon Josefsson wrote:
Hello,

I'm using gengetopt in libidn but I'm considering moving to argp which
IMHO is more flexible and generate nicer output.  E.g., help texts are
flowed (no >80 column texts), parameters can be grouped in the --help
output with some description text, generate --usage.  See glibc manual
for the entire story.

But then I would lose the nice code-generation idea in gengetopt, and
the configuration file parser (which I don't need in libidn, but I
need it in another project which currently uses argp).

So it occurred to me that the best (from my point of view) would be to
generate argp code given the gengetopt description file.  I'm not sure
this could be implemented completely backwards compatible, or if that
is even important, though.

Code for the argp implementation would have to be included, since it
isn't generally available on all platforms, but as it happen I'm
currently working on making the libc argp implementation portable (as
part of gnulib).

What do you think?

Before you ask, I don't volunteer to implement this in gengetopt. :) I
am willing to work on any argp modifications that could be required
though.

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.lorenzobettini.it/purple    Cover Band  |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |