help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] --unamed-opts question

From: Eli Cohen
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] --unamed-opts question
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:23:15 +0200

Hi Lorenzo,
I have just tried 2.19rc but it does not seem to solve my problem.
Here is the file  used:

package "rxc"
version "0.1"
args "--file-name=ccmdline --unamed-opts="<host> <command>"
purpose "this is a client for the remote execute package"
option "port" p "tcp port number" short typestr="port number" no

I still can't get rid of the square brackets and the elipsis...

Thanks
Eli

On 10/12/06, Lorenzo Bettini <address@hidden> wrote:
Eli Cohen wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Eli

> I would like to use the --unamed-opts option to specify arguments. I
> have to arguments:
> <host> <command>
> that I want to specify but have the following problems.
> I cannot specify this option in the .ggo file since there is a space

where were you trying to specify this in the .ggo file?

> in this string so it takes only the <host> part. I can do this when I
> put it in the makefile and use single quotes.
> I still can't get rid of the square brackets and the elipsis.
> I need: <host> <command>
> but I get: [<host> command]...

few days ago another user had problems with the usage string options;
indeed the way options were printed by --help had some problems.

You may want to try this candidate release

http://rap.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini/gengetopt-2.19rc.tar.gz

the main changes are:

* strings can spawn more than one line and contain escaped "
* usage string can be specified in the .goo file (instead of being
generated automatically).
* automatically created usage strings are wrapped.
* with --long-help the optional options are correctly printed between []
* --show-required, to explicitly print in the help output whether an
      option is mandatory

this issues some of the problems enlightened by Tong

as for unnamed options, for the moment they are left to the programmer
(but some possible features might be added to gengetopt to deal with
them), because they usually represent a list (with unspecified length)
of input files...

however, for the moment, one can specify a customized usage string, in
order to obtain the line

Usage: sample1 [OPTIONS]... SOURCE DEST

I look forward to hearing feedback :-)

cheers
         Lorenzo

| Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134      |
| PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze      |
| Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)   |
| http://www.lorenzobettini.it                        |
| http://tronprog.blogspot.com  BLOG                  |
| http://www.purplesucker.com Deep Purple Cover Band  |
| http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite            |