help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Feature requests: dependencies between option value

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Feature requests: dependencies between option values; description of option values
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:30:58 +0100

nlohmann wrote:
Hello!

I really like gengetopt, but I miss one feature to actually use it in a tool
of mine.

Hi Niels!

glad you like gengetopt :-)

I also received your previous bug report and will work on that.

see the other following comments (I assume you're already using the most recent version 2.22, right?)

GNU BPEL2oWFN can be run in a whole different modes. I use one option
"--mode" to chose one of this modes, e.g. "--mode=net". Additionally, there
are a lot of parameters, currently invoked via "--parameter", e.g.
"--parameter=reduce".

gengetopt now supports mode options (http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt/gengetopt.html#Mode-options) but I don't think this would solve your problem.

I'll try to see what I can do for your request.

Now I miss two features in gengetopt:

1. I would like to make certain parameters dependend on the mode chosen. For
example, parameter "reduce" should only be valid together with mode "net".
As far as I understand, I currently can only express dependence between
whole options, but not between their chosen values.

see above

2. I would like to add descriptions not only to the option itself, but also
to the valid values. I know I could do this with "text" insertions, I like
the way gengetopt does all the wrapping and layout of the help output.

with text insertions could you achieve your goal? or am I missing something?

otherwise what syntax (and what help output) would you suggest?

I know I could solve my problems by giving each mode value a single option,
e.g. "--net" or "--small", but I don't want to change the set of command
line parameters just because switching to gengetopt.

I hope you can help me. Again, great tool!

thanks!

hope to hear from you soon
cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net