help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] override among command line and config file options

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] override among command line and config file options
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:58:42 +0800

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:17 +0200, Papp Gyozo (VBuster) wrote:

> i) move all (or almost all) checking to a dedicated function like require
> and call this function at the very end of parsing when nothing modifies
> the option structure.

> iii) by tweaking the current logic:
>   - parse commandline into temporary struct to get out the name of the
> configfile
>   - parse config file into final struct
>   - parse again commandline into final struct with override(!)

> Do you know a better approach to circumvent this situation?

I like option iii. I already implement option i to a degree, such as
checking that paths, ports, interfaces, files (etc, ...) aren't bogus
prior to starting. Even though all arguments in a group might be
satisfied, some may be mistakes. By checking that, I'm more or less
already doing what is described in option i.

I would think that most people do something similar?

Cheers,
--Tim

--
Monkey + Typewriter = Echoreply ( http://echoreply.us )