help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] Avoiding "localhost" in URLs generated by gift-add-colle

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] Avoiding "localhost" in URLs generated by gift-add-collection.pl
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:49:31 +0200

> Having added one collection (from a directory below public_html) using
> gift-add-collection.pl, I noticed (only after trying access from another
> machine) that the generated URLs to the images contained "localhost" as the
> host specification, rather than the true hostname of the machine. This is a
> problem if you want to view the images over the internet.

Yes, it is.

> I have just run "gift-add-collection.pl --help" to see if there was an
> option which would let me override this, but it appears that there is not.
> "--url-prefix" and "--thumbnail-url-prefix" sound like what is wanted, but
> in fact they are not - they don't affect the localhost issue - which I now
> see is hard-coded into gift-add-collection.pl (though perhaps there was an
> option I could have given to configure when I built the system?).

Huh, I thought it would. Strange. Could you give me the exact command line???
I have to look into the sequences there. Normally the url-prefix stuff is
exactly made for that.

> Anyway, I would like to suggest that a "--hostname" option be added to
> gift-add-collection.pl so that this problem could be avoided.

Good idea.

> David (who is enjoying having some time to get his hands dirty with this
> stuff)

Thanks a lot for your input.
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Müller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant