help-gift

[help-GIFT] Use of CPAN to automatically download and install Perl modul

From: David Squire
Subject: [help-GIFT] Use of CPAN to automatically download and install Perl modules
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:36:20 +1000

Hi all,

I've just downloaded GIFT 0.1.9 - I haven't installed a new one for
nearly a year. During configure, it says:

WARNING: INSTALLING PREREQUISITES
 DUE TO TECHNICAL REASONS WE WILL HAVE TO IGNORE THE --prefix PARAMETERS
HERE
 IF YOU NEED THEM FOR YOUR APPLICATION/INSTALLATION, CALL

 echo "perl gift-install-prerequisites.pl /binary/directory
/lib/directory"

 BY HAND

Now, I don't want to install as root - and some people may not be able
to. Is it really so hard to use the --prefix parameters here?

Also, I prefer to download and install any Perl modules I need by hand,
rather than using the CPAN module. Could configure offer an option to
use CPAN, rather than just going ahead and doing so?

Cheers,

David

--
Dr. David McG. Squire, Postgraduate Research Coordinator (Caulfield),
Computer Science and Software Engineering, Monash University, Australia