help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] perl dependencies and 0.1.8 and Cygwin :)

From: Alexis H. Rivera-Rios
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] perl dependencies and 0.1.8 and Cygwin :)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Wolfgang,

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> > cannot find -ldl
> We see, that make is trying to link to libld, and
> there is none under cygwin.
> So now what has to be done is some work on
> Makefile.am's, configure.in using
> stuff described in
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html ,
> section 10.1. Would you have
> the time, stamina, and will to do that?

I've never worked with Makefile.am's and
configure.in's but I'll see what I can do during the
weekend.

Thanks,
Alexis

--- Wolfgang Müller
<address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Re-Hi,
>
> > I downloaded all the cygwin packages and installed
> > everything except the Xfree stuff.
>
> OK.
> (Snip)
> > XML-Parser gave some warnings, but all the tests
> > passed. and the installation was succesful.
>
> OK This is really good to know.
> Your Perl installation does not seem to be complete
> with respect to what is
> needed in 0.1.9, but for 0.1.8 it looks ok.
>
> > libwww failed on some tests:
> > robot/ua-get
> > robot/ua
> > robot/http-get
> >
> > But I installed it anyways.  I sent an email to
> the
> > guys that deal with libwww to see what they think
> > about that.
> >
> > I get to the point where the .configure asks me if
> > want to do a manual configuration.  Last time I
> said
> > yes... and I eventually got stuck trying to give
> it a
> > CPAN url for something.  It just kept asking and I
> > really don't know what it is expecting.
>
> Plenty of input, defaults usually works.
> >
> > Then I tried saying no, but I got errors of these
> > form:
>
> Hmm. I think this sounds like an illconfigured or
> unconnected CPAN install.
>
> (Snip)
>
> > What are those errors? Does that mean the perl
> > installation is still wrong?
>
> It does not seem to.
>

> OK. Here we see, the stuff is doing a make, and it
> seems to work up to the
> point where it wants to link to ld, a library that
> is not there. Now I give
> you again a snip from my last message to you.
>
> quote
> The problem is the plugin mechanism. All GIFT query
> engines are in fact
> plugins. So GIFT looks in LIBDIR (the dir where the
> libs get installed, which
> in turn depends on the ./configure parameters you
> give) for libs that start
> libGIFT something and end with .so . This is not
> portable. libtool gives you
> some possibilities to find out the name suffix of
> dynamic libs, and it has a
> more portable of dynamically linking than libdl,
> libtdl, if I remember right.
> So something that would need to be done would be to
> look into the details of
> portable dynamic linking using libtool and then do
> it the right way based on
> my code that does it the wrong way (but, I hope,
> would be easily changed).
> unquote
>

> > After the configure progam exits,
> Does it say it exits successfully? Does it say
> "creating makefile soandso"?
>

> So, what do we see here?

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> > cannot find -ldl
> We see, that make is trying to link to libld, and
> there is none under cygwin.
> So now what has to be done is some work on

=====
"Nunca pienses en la suerte,
  porque la suerte es: el pretexto de los fracasados"
Pablo Neruda