help-gift

[help-GIFT] Fwd: Re: GIFT/giFT conflict

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: [help-GIFT] Fwd: Re: GIFT/giFT conflict
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 08:50:20 +0200

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: GIFT/giFT conflict Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:46:08 -0700 User-agent: Mutt/1.5.4i
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 08:28:51AM +0200, Wolfgang M?ller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Please let me know what your opinion is on this matter so that I know how
> > to proceed.
>
> [As a c++ programmer, I do not have any problems with GIFT/giFT ;-)
> More seriously, as archive names are lowercase, this is a problem.]
>
> Thanks for contacting me. I have been aware of this conflict for quite some
> time (but your project was already running and very active), and seeing the
> activity difference, I refrained from telling you to change your name.

Someone brought this to my attention quite a long while ago but I thought the
project was actually long since dead and pretty much irrelevant (I admittedly
didn't look into it much).  So I figured it more like we were taking over the
name with an active project rather than conflicting with it.  I should have
done my homework before dismissing it, sigh.

> Debians have contacted me lately. They suggested calling the GIFT GnuIFT
> within Debian. I personally would be OK with it, and the logo is compatible
> with that, too. In addition to that, it might be good to put links on our
> [Gg][Ii]FT pages, citing potential conflicts, there are our two projects,
> and there is some JAVA graphic library of that name AFAIK (not sure).

I would certainly be fine with that.  I'll have the page updated soon, in
fact.

> Are you OK with me forwarding your mail and this mail to our mailing list
> and let people give their nod?

Certainly.

--
Josh Guilfoyle