help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.

From: risc
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] 'Re: Ups.
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:08:48 -0500

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 04:56:33PM +0100, David Squire wrote:
> Wolfgang Müller wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >>BTW, I do think that not rescaling will cause serious problems, since
> >>the feature extraction code is premised on 16x16 blocks at the lowest
> >>level, and using images of different sizes will result in the same block
> >>feature ID being used to refer to different image locations for
> >>different images. IDs are assigned simply by counting.
> >>

> >Yes, this is clear. To translate: all images of one collection are to be
> >resized to the same size. However, changing this size is not a problem
> >(within limits). Right?
> >

> Yes, with rewritten feature extraction code, this should be fine. The
> current code in GIFT has '256' hard-coded into it though.
>
> The best solution would probably be to rewrite the code so that it used
> a fixed depth quadtree, but tolerated non-square blocks. This would also
> have the advantage the texture distortions through the rescaling of
> non-square images would be avoided.

sounds like fun, what can i do to help?
right now, we have two source trees, mine and yours. wouldnt it make more
sense to concentrate on getting them in sync, before trying to add features?
not that i've made that very easy in my version. but i'd like to start
getting the ball rolling in this direction. should i be trying to minimalize
my patches? have you examined my rendition?

> Regards and Happy Easter,
>
> David

it being easter weekend, i'm going to have some time on my hands. if we can
decide on a direction, i'll do what i can.

Julia Longtin <address@hidden>