help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] --no-thumbnails
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:01:58 +0200

Hi Jonas, David,

I agree mostly with the suggestion of David's.

> Yes... If you refer to my "original" mail abot the --no-thumbnails
> option, I wrote that I considered dropping the attribute, or setting
> "the empty string" as its value, but that I decided on using the
> image name instead, since I thought it would break less things. I
> haven't bothered looking into how the various mrml clients (or the
> server for that matter) behave if that attribute is missing. But I
> agree, suppressing it is a lot cleaner.
> If you, with your experience and involvement in the project say it's
> perfectly safe to remove the attribute all together, then I think
> that's the way to go.

I do not think all threads behave that way, but they *should* in fact, and if
need be we can do something like --fake-thumbnail-urls to make thumbnail urls
point to the full images.

My feeling is that GIFT is often used in environment, where the images are not
served to a community, but rather used as a backend to some PHP where the
MRML server itself is not reachable, or not intended to be reached. This
seems to be the case for you, Jonas, and in this case I find it more proper
to suppress the attribute altogether.

IF you intend to run the GIFT as MRML server with a reachable and advertised
MRML port, then I would find it useful to use a --fake-thumbnail-urls option
as suggested above, because I am not sure who wrote when which app that
relies on the thumbnail attribute.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--