help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] patch set!

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] patch set!
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:24:49 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 09:00:05AM +0100, David Squire wrote:
address@hidden wrote:
make gift build in a builddir (AKA, instead of doing "./configure; make" you do "mkdir build; cd build; ../configure ; make")
Why would you do that? That is not the standard way for a GNU project to be built. That one, I think, will have to be rescinded.

per page 13 of my autoconf book, it is the standard. :)

the features to do it are built into autoconf and everything.

i'll forward you some links reguarding the standardness of not using SRCDIR for
BUILDDIR as soon as i get to work.

I am not talking about autoconf recommendations. I am talking about standards for GNU projects, which must be adhered to because of the 'G' in 'GIFT'. I have built many, many GNU programs, and not one ever required me to do what you describe above. I think we should stick to the standard GNU way of doing things.

The standard GNU way is:

tar xvfz package.tgz
cd package
./configure
make
(make test)
make install

This is so standard that I typically do it without even reading README and INSTALL when building GNU stuff.

Regards,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer. On sabbatical in 2006.
Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia