help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] error when starting Charmer applet

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] error when starting Charmer applet
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:46:31 +0200

You can judge it by finding out if you can call a web page from your machine.
That is not a GIFT problem, it is rather a problem if you know what a web
server is and how to get one going.

No, GIFT does not start a web server. GIFT is a MRML server. You need a client
to connect to it. This was the starting point of the discussion.

GIFT listens on port 12789 for incoming MRML requests (i.e. XML documents) and
sends XML documents back.

A web server usually listens on port 80 for incoming HTTP requests that are
answered using HTTP responses.

In the case at hand you want to run a JAVA applet, SnakeCharmer. This is
usually served into your web browser by a web server. Once this is done, the
JAVA will send MRML requests to the GIFT server to get lists of matching images
given an image URL and then HTTP requests to get the image thumbnails to
display.

JAVA can display these images only if the images come from the same source as
the applet. It  can send MRML requests only if the server it sends the requests
to is the same as the applet source.

I gotta run, if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate.
Best,
Wolfgang

From: Robin Wu <address@hidden>
Date:  Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:53:12 -0700 (PDT)