help-global

Re: What suffixes are supported/for what languages

From: Shigio Yamaguchi
Subject: Re: What suffixes are supported/for what languages
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:36:52 +0900

Hi,
> i have a .msg file that is basically a 'c' .h file
> its naming is out of my control.
> i appended the msg suffix in my .globalrc file like so

OK. You should setup two things:

1. configuration file
        add 'msg' to variable 'suffixes'.
2. parser
        rewrite parser to parse '.msg' files.

> #
> # [gctags]
> #
> # This command is distributed as part of GLOBAL.
> #
> gctags|tag command for GLOBAL:\
>       :tc=common:\
>       :suffixes=c,h,y,c++,cc,hh,cpp,cxx,hpp,hxx,C,H,a,sa,asm,s,S,msg:\
>       ...snip...
>
> global -vi builds all the G* files (or rebuilds them if already
> present)
> i do not see the .msg files in the verbose output as being parsed

It seems OK.
You can see the active value of 'suffixes' by the following command.
Can you see 'msg' in it?

% gtags --config suffixes
c,h,y,c++,cc,cpp,cxx,hxx,C,H,s,S,java,msg
% _

> i don't believe the .msg is being parsed though it has been introduced
> as a valid suffix. perhaps a mapping is needed to tell global what
> language to use to parse unrecoginized (non default) suffixed files.

You must make parser to parse '.msg' files.
Please rewrite gctags/gctags.c like follows and rebuild GLOBAL.

[gctags/gctags.c]
(choota:/tmp)% diff -c gctags.c.org gctags.c
*** gctags.c.org        Thu Apr 26 08:26:15 2001
--- gctags.c    Thu Apr 26 08:27:16 2001
***************
*** 209,215 ****
                /*
                 * C
                 */
!               else if (locatestring(argv[0], ".c", MATCH_AT_LAST))
                        C(0);
                /*
                 * C or C++
--- 209,216 ----
                /*
                 * C
                 */
!               else if (locatestring(argv[0], ".c", MATCH_AT_LAST)     ||)
!                       locatestring(argv[0], ".msg", MATCH_AT_LAST))
                        C(0);
                /*
                 * C or C++

--
Shigio Yamaguchi - Tama Communications Corporation
Mail: address@hidden, (Spare mail: address@hidden)