help-global

AW: global with xemacs on windows xp

From: Frank Roland
Subject: AW: global with xemacs on windows xp
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:17:15 +0200

Shigio Yamaguchi writes:

> Hello,
> > I tried to use global with xemacs on a windows xp machine, but
> it failed.
> > I did the following:
> >     In a source directory I executed in the shell gtags.
> >     In the same direcory I opend a file and did M-x gtags-mode.
> >     Then I did M-x gtags-visit-rootdir, ending up with an error.
> > The command global was found and executed. The real problem is, that the
> > call of global did not fill the buffer *rootdir* with data, although
> > global -pr returns with the correct root directory if I try it
> on the shell.
> >
> > What can I do to get it working?
>
> I don't know XP environment but there is a work around.
>
> The 'gtags-visit-rootdir' just set environment variable to the
> root directory
> of the source tree. So, you can do the same job by hand. In UNIX
> environment,
> 'gtags-visit-rootdir' is nearly equal to the following command line:
>
>       $ global -pr
>       /xxx/yyy/zzz
>       $ export GTAGSROOT=/xxx/yyy/zzz
>       $ xemacs
>
> (I don't know the command line in XP environment.)

That would not help, because it is the call of global which failed, not
setting the environment variable. Thus executing gtags-find-tag, or any othe
function calling global, fails.

> By the way, if you execute xemacs in the root directory of source code or
> the directories under it, you need not set the variable.

Maybe, but I seldom start xemacs. I open it on Monday morning and exit it on
Friday evening ;-) (as long as windows allows me for this).
Furthermore, I do not have one single project in a single directory, but
mostly have to switch between several.

> Good luck!

Thanks. I already had luck by finding a solution (workaround). It works this
way:

        1. I have a batch file (global.bat) that calls global.exe with (almost)
all
arguments.
        2. I have a patched gtags.el to use a variable gtags-cmd-global, which
can
be set to global on "good" systems and to global.bat on windoows systems.

I attached both files to this mail in case others have the same problem.
Maybe you adapt the path to gtags.el?

Still I wonder why the direct call to global.exe fails. Maybe this is
related to djgpp or xemacs. Or does global play with stdout? I may examine
that...

Kind regards,
Frank