help-global

Re: Update the tag database when a single source file is modified

From: Shigio YAMAGUCHI
Subject: Re: Update the tag database when a single source file is modified
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:22:28 +0900

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but "global -u" will scan the entire tree for
> changes. Although it may skip the parsing of all unchanged files by
> checking their timestamps, it will still scan the entire tree, when I

Right.

> know up-front that only one file has changed and scanning the tree is
> redundant (and takes a long time for a large tree). Is there a way to
> tell Global (or gtags) to update just one specific file, and avoid
> checking the entire tree?

You can easily achieve it by changing gtags/gtags.c file especially in
incremental() function.
But it might be worthless. Though scanning tree seems to be redundant,
it does not so take time. It is updating database to spend a lot of time.

BSD Db library is not suitable for this usage. It is being examined to be
going to replace the database system with another one in the future.
--
Shigio YAMAGUCHI <address@hidden>
PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3