RE: [Help-glpk] gplsol.exe 4.4.1 and vpm1.mps of MIPLib 3.0

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] gplsol.exe 4.4.1 and vpm1.mps of MIPLib 3.0
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:10:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Robert Horvath wrote:

> The problem of glpk not stopping when the solution is optimal is not a bug!
> Glpk uses heuristics to find optimal solution. This helps to find the
> solutions faster, but its disadvantage is that it is not able to determine
> quickly whether the solution it has provided is optimal or not.

More precisely, the problem is not completely
solved when one has an optimal solution.

A complete solution includes the knowledge
that one has an optimal solution.

Acquiring that knowledge is why GLPK and every other exact
B&B solver will continue after finding an optimal solution.

--
Mike   address@hidden
"Nothing says it like words if you know how to use them."