Re: [Help-glpk] reporting active and processed nodes

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] reporting active and processed nodes
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 00:04:40 -0500

Andrew Makhorin wrote:
Hi Brady,

For MILP problems, the show_progress routine currently shows the number
of active nodes (tree->a_cnt) and the number of "removed" nodes (tree->t_cnt - tree->n_cnt). This doesn't give information about the
total number of nodes so far.

Why not? Formally, only active nodes have a sense, because they
correspond to subproblems, which have to be solved; inactive nodes
play only a technical role and they are not needed for b&b, i.e.
in principle, we could have only the set of active nodes.

I would like to see either the number of "processed" nodes (tree->t_cnt tree->a_cnt) or the total number of nodes (tree->t_cnt).

How would you feel about reporting this number, either in addition to or instead of the number of "removed" nodes.

Maybe it would be better just to report all three numbers (a_cnt,
n_cnt, and t_cnt)?

Andrew Makhorin

I agree that this would be a good solution. It would give the user a complete sense of the situation.

Brady