RE: [Help-glpk] Command-line and GPL

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] Command-line and GPL
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:12:44 +0400

People build commercial applications all the time under Linux.  These
applications implicitly call the Linux kernel, and perhaps explicitly
call on a variety of commands (which are really applications) like "mv",
"cp" and so on.  Yet these commercial applications are not under the
GPL.  I think Luca's situation is similar.

Another example, a lot of ISP providers are able to offer Jabber, MySQL
and other services that are GPL'd.  Customers are invited to write
(non-GPL'd) applications that make use of these services.  Such as an MS
Access and Excel application that links to a MySQL instance on an ISP
provider.

-Marc