Re: [Help-glpk] Re: How to avoid output when reading in an mps problem.

From: Enea Zaffanella
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Re: How to avoid output when reading in an mps problem.
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:18:29 +0400

Andrew Makhorin wrote:
>> I know, but I would like to also know if there are other ways of doing
>> the same in older versions of glpk. The reason for being still
>> interested in these outdated versions is that I want to write my code so
>> as to be as much as possible backward compatible since, e.g., the rpm
>> currently distributed with Fedora Core 6 is glpk-devel-4.13-1.fc6;
>> similarly, for Fedora Core 7, we have glpk-4.15-1.fc7.
>> (NOTE: here I mean the rpm's that are automatically obtained by using
>> tools such as pup, the package updater available in Fedora.)
>
> In 4.15 there is no such routine. In 4.16 you can use glp_term_hook.
> Btw, you can easily download the distribution tarball and install the
> recent version of the package.

Thank you very much for the info.

As I said, I was not really worried for myself, but rather for our
users. Let me try to explain.

In our software project (the Parma Polyhedra Library,
http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl) we use glpk in a demo application, mainly
for debugging purposes: we have developed an exact arithmetic mip solver
and we want to check if the results we are obtaining agree with those
obtained using glpk. It is acceptable that the user hasn't installed
glpk at all, or that an old version is found. Hence, it is not really
appropriate to have our project depend on glpk. Rather, at configure
time, we try to detect the installed version of glpk and, based on that,
we conditionally enable/disable the various tests.
With the valuable info you provided we should be able to write
meaningful auto-configuration code.

All the best,
Enea Zaffanella.