[Help-glpk] memory problem solving a 4221 var and 1336 constraints

From: Hernandez Florent
Subject: [Help-glpk] memory problem solving a 4221 var and 1336 constraints
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 20:50:43 +0400

memory problem solving a 4221 var and 1336 constraintsI have a memory problem
solving a simplex (real variables) with  4221 var and 1336 inequality
constraints
The file written by glpk routine glp_write_lp() amounts to 140 MBytes.
When I read this file and try to solve it, memory usage climbs up to 1.5 Gbytes.
Then the malloc death sentence falls "umalloc: size = 8016; malloc failed ".

Why does my problem need so much RAM within glpk ?
I would expect far less.

When glpk reads the file, it says it has 1336 rows (correct), 8 910 531 columns
(why?)
and 1 312 263 non zero values in the matrix.

Any help ?
Is it possible to handle glpk so that it minimises memory usage ?
Or should I think about another solver (which I don't want to!)

thanks,

Florent HERNANDEZ