Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.32 release information

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.32 release information
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 19:18:37 +0400

Sunday, October 5, 2008, 5:59:46 PM, you wrote:

> * Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden> [2008-10-03 17:49]:

>> GLPK 4.32 -- Release Information
>> ********************************
>>
>> Release date: Oct 03, 2008
>>
>> [snip]

> In the process of building the Debian package for 4.32, I noticed that there
> has been an backward incompatible change from version 4.31.  The public
> symbol glp_put_solution that was exported in 4.31 and also present in
> glpapi.h has now disappeared from 4.32.  Is that intentional.  If yes,
> shouldn't the SOVERSION be bumped?

I do not think so. Glp_put_solution is *not* (and never was) an API
routine, and application programs must not use it. Its name was chosen
erroneously, so in 4.32 it was changed (with the preprocessor) to
'_glp_1px_put_solution' (must read one-pi-eks, not el-pi-eks). Note that
in 4.31 all the library routines were exported, however, in 4.32 due to
the option '-export-symbols-regex' in LD_FLAGS only the routines whose
names begin with glp_ (API) and _glp_lpx_ (deprecated API) are exported,
thus, glp_put_solution is not exported in 4.32. Formally, there is no
violation of backward compatibility since 4.15, where version info was
introduced for the first time.