Re: [Help-glpk] quick question about GLPK solver

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] quick question about GLPK solver
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 06:34:50 +0300

> I #8217;m a senior year student try to finish my senior
> project which is mainly using GLPK solver.

> I am currently facing problem about the amount of time GLPK
> required to solve each problem.

> That #8217;s when I noticed --nopresol and it reduce my solving
> time greatly.

> I was wondering what does --nopresol do exactly? Will it effects
> the answer or anything?

> Do it have any side effects or trades off for its speed? Please
> let me know..

The option '--nopresol' disables using the glpk lp presolver, which
is enabled by default. The lp presolver is a complex routine attempting
to simplify the original lp instance to make it easier for solving with
the simplex method (for example, it removes redundant constraints).
If using the lp presolver degrades the performance, just disable it.