Re: [Help-glpk] optimization problem

From: Andrzej Mazurkiewicz
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] optimization problem
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 07:08:43 +0100

Hello everybody.

I feel that I do not understand something.

> /* Problem posed by rsymbx
>
> 1) Tom is given a large box which contains 1000 bags of marbles.
> 2) Inside each bag, there are between 1 and 50 marbles.
> 3) Within a given bag, there are no duplicate colors of marbles,
>    however there are duplicate colors of marbles across the bags.
> 4) The bags are labeled and Tom has a list of what color marbles
>    each bag contains.
>
> Objective:
> Tom wants to collect as many UNIQUE colors of marbles as
> possible, but is only allowed to pick out 100 bags from the box.
> Tom derives absolutely no value from getting duplicate colors of
> marbles. Tell Tom which 100 bags to pick.
> */

Isn't it a problem of choice of bags from a list and simply checking whether
we have already chosen a bag with this color. For that you need a list object
with its operations and a set object with its operations.
I am afraid that I see no purpose in using just LP for that task.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I will not have any hard feeling, I promise!!!
:)

Regards to everybody
Andrzej Mazurkiewicz