RE: [Help-glpk] Many basic vars = 0, many non-basic are on upper-bound

From: Joey Rios
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] Many basic vars = 0, many non-basic are on upper-bound
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 18:16:01 -0700

Thanks for the responses.

> It means that only one item has a non-zero weight,
> therefore that weight is one.
>
> It would be interesting to see what happened if you
> eliminated the explicit upper bounds on your weights.
> They should be implied by the other constraints.

That makes sense, so I dropped the upper bound and got the same answers I was getting before which is a good thing.  It also may have run a little faster which is another good thing.  And, clearly, I didn't get any variables coming up as "non-basic on its upper bound".  Still have basic vars valued 0.0, but I'm OK with that as I figured there was a good deal of degeneracy in my problem(s).

Also, thanks for the Dantzig reference, Andrew.  I dusted that book off my shelf and will take a look at that chapter and see if my understanding improves.

Joey

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailĀ®. See how.