Re: [Help-glpk] binary decision variables, --nomip

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] binary decision variables, --nomip
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:55:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Linder Wolfgang wrote:

I have defined binary decision variables in order to allow production only at
certain levels:

plev are the allowed production levels, exactprod are the binary decision
variables, P is the production

This works very well.

However, I would like to run the program with the -nomip option because of
increased speed. Obviously, in this case the binary decision variables are not
necessarily binary any more.

At most timesteps they still take the values of 0 or 1, but for example in
timestep 4 they don't (see below).

Are there any additional conditions I could use in order to force the variables
exactprod to be quasi-binary while still using the -nomip option?

None that don't require a post-processing step.
IIRC there is an MIP option that says take the first fesible solution found.
That is probably closest to what you want.
There is also an MIP option that specifies
how close to optimal is good enough.

To avoid MIP altogether, you could add quadratic terms to the objective.
The terms could weight the solution away from (1/2, 1/2, ....) .

--
Michael   address@hidden
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.