[Help-glpk] API friendliness Re: sensitivity analysis

From: Yingjie Lan
Subject: [Help-glpk] API friendliness Re: sensitivity analysis
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:56:49 -0800 (PST)

> > Sure, both cases are trivial, I
> am only not sure what the call
> > would result? Would there be some bad consequences of
> you call that
> > way?
>
> Primal values (activities) of rows and columns can be
> obtained with
> routines glp_get_row_prim/glp_get_col_prim, and the dual
> values
> (reduced costs) can be obtained with
> glp_get_row_dual/glp_get_col_dual.
> Row/column statuses are reported by routines
> glp_get_row_stat and
> glp_get_col_stat.

Sure, Andrew, this is good stuff. But I am considering from
a little different angle: the API friendliness. Suppose
you need to get the sensitivity bounds for a variable or
constraint, you will have to first find out its status
by glp_get_row_stat or glp_get_col_stat, then decide if
you should call the corresponding sensitivity analysis
API routine, or you should rather deal with the case yourself,
as the behavior of the sensitivity analysis API routine is
not defined in that case (undocumented at least).
But even though it is a trivial thing to implement,
you could still need other API routines or data structures
to make things right. This is not very API friendly, is it?
So if it is not two ugly, why not have those cases included
into the sensitivity analysis routines, just for the sake of
completeness and API friendliness?

Yingjie