Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek / Scite2003 Linux and (Mac OS X?)

From: Oscar Gustafsson
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek / Scite2003 Linux and (Mac OS X?)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 14:00:07 +0100

Yes, OK. We are asking now. Who wants an GLPK/MathProg IDE?
I do! I am pretty sure that a cross-platform IDE would be very useful for newer users for getting started, but also for more advanced users, given a suitable design.

And what OS are you using?
Windows and Linux

I have had some thoughts about this earlier and I believe that the main feature I would want (which GUSEK doesn't have as fas as I know) is to run through the API rather than glpsol. This would help in being able to build the model before solving it and to inspect it. Possibly, it would even assist in debugging. Also, one could get nicer looking feedback of the solution process than just outputting the text file. It would also be possible to add functionality to pause on and/or write newly found solutions for (M)ILP. Finally, one could inspect the solution graphically using e.g. a spreadsheet-like display.

Naturally, this is quite a bit of work, but mainly I would like to encourage you to think in this direction. As the API is used one could easily replace shard libraries/DLLs when newer versions of GLPK is released.

I wouldn't commit on contributing actually coding, but depending on the language used, I may contribute functionality I miss and at least provide good ideas. :-)

With best regards

Oscar