[Help-glpk] GLPK Wikibook : some policy issues

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: [Help-glpk] GLPK Wikibook : some policy issues
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 01:20:44 +1200 (NZST)

Hello again!

First, I am very mindful that 'help-glpk' should remain
focused on GLPK itself and not become overrun by GLPK
Wikibook traffic!

There are some issues, however, that I would like to
discuss with the wider GLPK membership for their input.
Some of these issues have been raised with me personally
and I duly refer them on.

1   Is it "MathProg" or "GMPL?" -- trivial in some
    regards, but the following page could be confusing
    to a new user (maybe Andrew can adjudicate):

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Scripting_plus_MathProg

generally, and also some style issues, can be
discussed, in the first instance, on the wiki
Discussion tab located here:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Contributors_page_(short-lived)

2   Audience: who should Wikibook contributors have in
    mind as an audience?

One person suggests: "since I'm using this in the
classroom, my writing is intended for the motivated
student interested in applications and using these
tools for the first time."

Is that a good guide?

3   Verbatim inclusion of 'NEWS' and 'ChangeLog' -- these
    were initially added to the Wikibook, but as xypron
    notes, unauthorized use of this material
    constitutes copyright infringement -- the questions
    then are: is this material useful (I think so) and
    would Andrew (as copyright holder) be willing to
    consent to publication on the GLPK Wikibook?

Finally, I suggest people take a look at Jeff Kantor's
tutorial example:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Portfolio_Optimization

Or xypron's page on visualization:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Gnuplot