[Help-glpk] "Integer" linear programming with non-uniform quantization

From: Oscar Gustafsson
Subject: [Help-glpk] "Integer" linear programming with non-uniform quantization
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:56:15 +0100

This may be slightly off-topic as it partly is a general optimization question. Sorry about that. However, GLPK is mentioned later on.

I have a linear programming formulation to which I want to find optimized variables that can take on only certain values (not always integers). As far as I can tell, it should be possible to use branch-and-bound for this problem as well. Can anyone confirm this and is there a term for this?

As I want to solve the problem, I clearly need to define my own branch-and-bound algorithm, both in terms of bounds and branching strategies. Would GLPK be a suitable alternative for this or are there packages where the bounding and branching is easier to extract? I get the impression that SYMPHONY is more or less built for this (playing around with different strategies). SCIP?

With best regards

Oscar Gustafsson