Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions

From: Klas Markström
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:58:18 +0200

Adding the ability to find all optimal solutions to an IP would be much wanted
improvement to glpk.

It is true that their may be exponentially many solutions to an IP, but it is
also true that the worst time complexity of all analyzed versions of the
simplex algorithm have exponential or close to exponential running times.
However for typical LP this is not the case, so it is meaningful to implement
simplex methods.
In much the same way there a many IPs which have only a moderate number of
solutions, and I believe a random IP will actually have a unique solution.

I have generated all solutions to many IPs in my own research by doing an
iterative solution procedure, adding new constraints which exclude the old
solutions and solving again until all solutions have been found.   In my case
each solution gives an experimental design and the designs can be further
analyzed in terms of properties which cannot be formulated as MIPs. So having
the full set of optimal solutions is very useful.

Of course there are other development work which might have higher priority for
glpk, but in principle I don't think there are any strong arguments against
this feature.

Best regards
Klas