Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK wikibook : newish solution information page

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK wikibook : newish solution information page
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 11:45:39 -0500

In most linear programming textbooks, the optimality conditions are refered to
differently.  They either use "weak duality" or "complementary slackness" when
refering to the optimality conditions:

(1) weak duality is when there is a primal feasible solution, a dual feasible
solution, and the primal objective value equals to the dual objective value

(2) complementary slackness is where there is a primal feasible solution (x), a
dual feasible solution (y), and whenever x_i is strictly between it's lower and
upper bounds, the corresponding reduced cost as calculated with  y  is zero.

Both these conditions are equivalent to the KKT, and in the linear programming
case are fairly trivial to prove.  But the textbooks don't usually call them
KKT so I believe the wiki page entry should refer it as "Tests for Optimality"
and then discuss the more precise calculations.

I wish I had some time to write it up more... but I'm behind on doing some
testing for Xypron and not sure when I'll get that finished.  Maybe someone
else can?

-Marc