Re: [Help-glpk] source code repository?

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] source code repository?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 06:33:08 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello all

To:           fork <address@hidden>
From:         Haroldo Santos <address@hidden>
Date:         Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:11:01 -0200

> I strongly agree that it would be very nice if
> GLPK had a version control system.  Even those
> who just watch the progress of the development
> would like to see the step by step progress.
> Furthermore, it would motivate volunteers to
> contribute for this great piece of software,
> which is the spirit of free software.
>
> GIT is very fast and practical.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Haroldo

---

The issue of a public repository was discussed during
this 2010 thread:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-glpk/2010-12/threads.html#00039

A public repository would encourage contributions.
But it would also require some policy on commit
access and some additional workload for monitoring
the various changes.

I have at least one cosmetic patch "queued" and
seemingly stalled (it relates to terminal output)
and could probably generate others.

There is a slowly growing expectation that
software projects should be easy to contribute to.

In terms of systems, 'git' would seem a reasonable
choice.  I understand it has become more Windows
friendly over time.

GNU Savannah would, I guess, be the obvious
code host:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Savannah

just some thoughts, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]