Re: [Help-glpk] Podhradsky (2010) review of optimization modeling langua

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Podhradsky (2010) review of optimization modeling languages
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 11:27:31 +1300 (NZDT)

To:           Robbie Morrison <address@hidden>, GLPK help
Subject:      Re: [Help-glpk] Podhradsky (2010) review of optimization
From:         Nigel Galloway <address@hidden>
Date:         Sat, 21 Jan 2012 06:23:34 -0800

> Robbie,
>
> Are you telling me that an electrical engineer, to
> be, should or should not base his thesis on a
> comparison of modelling languages?

[snip]

Hi Nigel

You make some interesting observations.

First, just let me say that I have no connection with
this work, nor anybody involved with it, nor the
institution.  I found the thesis using google.

I did also notice some naive comments that should have
been picked up by an observant supervisor.

Moreover, many of the conclusions, as you point out,
are difficult to justify.  The interesting thing for me
was not the discussion, but the attempt to code up the
same problem using different high level languages and
then establish some comparative metrics.

It is also worth pointing out that the difference
between bachelor, masters, and doctoral level work is
marked.

It is also worth noting the more than occasional
tensions that exist between domain experts,
programmers, operations researchers, and mathematicians
.. as we variously, and perhaps unwittingly, stray into
each other's fields and completely mess up.

I think that is about as far off-topic as I wish to go.

best wishes all, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Institute for Energy Engineering (IET)
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]