Re: [Help-glpk] Error literal string too long in TABLE statement

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Error literal string too long in TABLE statement
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:27:56 +0300

Hello,

> The model is writing back solution values through odbc (Windows) when
> the error "literal string too long" is generated in parsing the TABLE
> statement.  Other table statements in the model to read and write work fine.
> I have shortened all names as much as possible, but this is a relatively
> complex SQL query that cannot be split, i.e. it is for a single SET
> operation.   Is there a workaround for this error?

Please see the topic "100 character limitation" in the article
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/ODBC

> How large is the string limit.

Currently the limit is 100 chars.

> How can it be increased.
>
> I also suggest that in the next release of GLPK the limit is increase to
> a few thousand of characters, say 2500.  Current main memory is measured
> in the gigabytes, a few k for SQL queries is acceptable.

Initially, on development of the mathprog translator, symbolic values
(i.e. character strings) were intended only to be used as elements of
indexed sets, so the limit of 100 chars seemed sufficient (the table
statement was implemented later). The problem is that to increase this
limit many data structures should be changed, though using long strings
is really needed only in the table statements.

Andrew Makhorin