Re: [Help-glpk] Optimization and Multicore GLPK

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Optimization and Multicore GLPK
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:41:44 +1300

Hello Reg, Andrew, all

To:           glpk <address@hidden>
Subject:      [Help-glpk] Optimization and Multicore GLPK
From:         Reginald Beardsley <address@hidden>
Date:         Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:37:22 -0800 (PST)

> I am particularly interested in comments from
> Andrew, Marc, Robbie and xypron.

Most of the suggestions thus far seem eminently
sensible.  And continued development is essential
to any software project -- otherwise the codebase
will stagnate, quietly but surely.

I'll pick out a couple of items that stood out and
then indicate my potential contribution.

 * making GLPK thread safe is regularly
   requested and should be addressed

 * shifting to 'git' and a code hosting site
   (GitHub or Savanna, for example) for this
   development fork is essential -- which
   then begs the question, why not move the
   entire development effort to the same
   repository

I don't have sufficient background in linear
solvers or concurrent programming to contribute
much.  But I will create a wikibook page, keep a
list of papers and similar, and try and summarize
the discussion.  I am also happy to be a
non-technical 'git' maintainer (meaning I have
no desire to approve code commits from others).

It is important, and possibly vital, that this
development effort succeed.

best wishes, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]