Re: [Help-glpk] Help with callbacks for branch/cut optimisation

From: Heinrich Schuchardt
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Help with callbacks for branch/cut optimisation
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:16:12 +0100

Hello Martijn,

> I thought that by using the callbacks in the branch/cut algorithm I
> could add the necessary constraints during the optimisation rather
> than running the whole solver multiple times. The documentation talks
> about cut pools which look like they might be useful.

For the TSP you first solve the LP. If the solution contains loops or non-integer variables you add additional constraints and solve the LP again. Essentially the MILP solver using branch and bound does the same. At each branching point it adds a constraint and solves the LP again.

> Except when I tried it didn't work, because the reason GLP_IROWGEN is
> called with the solution to the LP relaxation, at which point you have
> non-integer variables and determining problematic loops isn't
> possible.

See the book indicated below for different constraints to add when you see a non-integer solution.

Literature:
The Traveling Salesman Problem: A Computational Study
Princeton Series in Applied Mathematics
David L. Applegate, Robert E. Bixby, Vasek Chvátal and William J. Cook
ISBN-10: 0691129932

You may also be interested in:

Limit Crossing
Sharlee Climer