Re: [Help-glpk] Modelling constaints

From: john tass
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Modelling constaints
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 00:56:16 +0200

Very good idea! Thank you very much.
I would like to add though, that because I want to get D = 0 in case A = 0 or ((U <= 0 AND K <= 0), I have to add the two constraints : D <= A , D <= E.
Am I correct?
Thanks again

Hello Ioannis.

If I understand your problem correctly, you can achieve the result you need using the "Big M" method, though I think you may need to introduce some new integer variables

Let E in {0, 1} binary
M*E >= U
M*E> = K
Where M is some "large" positive constant, though in this particular case it just needs to be greater than 6.  This will force E to be positive if either U or K is positive.

D >= A + E - 1

This will require D to be positive if both A and E are positive.  Note that for this to work the objective must prefer to drive D to zero if possible, which typically turns out to be the case.  If not then you will need to add complementary constraints to drive D to zero if the conditions are not met.