Re: [Help-glpk] Asking help on an issue of solving via glpk

From: Heinrich Schuchardt
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Asking help on an issue of solving via glpk
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 21:16:21 +0100

Hello Johannes,

first of all it is expected that finding heuristic solutions is much
faster than using an MIP solver.

For mixed integers problems you can use the callback function of the
GLPK library to provide heuristic solutions.

If you are only interested in having a good solution and not an optimal
one you can provide a time limit or a gap limit to the GLPK solver.

Large mixed integer problems are usually not solved by brute force in a
MIP solver but by applying heuristics like column generation to guide
the solver.

Without any further knowledge of the kind of problem you try to solve it
is hard to tell how it could be made more amenable to GLPK.

Best regards

Heinrich Schuchardt