Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.59.2 non-official test release

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] glpk 4.59.2 non-official test release
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 13:56:46 +0300

> Another thing that I noticed (but is probably normal behaviour) is
> that --proxy takes some time to find a solution when compiled with
> optimisations and x87 floating point, where using only --bestp a first
> solution is found quickly with both sse and x87 floating point.

To find a first integer feasible solution it is better to use --bestp
rather than --bestb (the latter is default option). The best projection
heuristic (--bestp) selects a subproblem whose solution to lp relaxation
is close to an integral point while the best bound heuristic (--bestb)
attempts to minimize the size of the search tree.