Re: [Help-glpk] Patch to configure a reentrant version of GLPK

From: Chris Matrakidis
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Patch to configure a reentrant version of GLPK
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 00:07:11 +0200

Heinrich,

> Why should this option be disabled by default?

I have only really tested the patch on Linux so I thought it safer to
have it disabled by default for the time being. This way, whoever
really needs it can try it and won't be worse off if it doesn't work.

> For all applications that up to now were only able to use GLPK with one
> thread the patch makes no difference.

Well, I noticed a very minor slowdown when enabled but nothing to
worry about (at least on my system).

> If we have such a switch a program calling the library will need a means
> of determining if the library is thread-safe or not.

This may still be required to help with code portability to systems
with old glpk libraries (although a version check may be enough).

> So it would be preferable not to have any switch at all but simply make
> the library thread safe in all cases.

I agree it makes sense to have it enabled by default eventually, but I
think the switch is still necessary to ease configuring a single
threaded version.

Best Regards,

Chris Matrakidis