[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Gnats{web} localization

From: Mike M. Volokhov
Subject: Re: Gnats{web} localization
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:32:52 +0300

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:09:23 -0500
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike, I'm all for l12n and i18n of GNATS and gnatsweb.  Mel H. is
> planning on adding a data abstraction layer API to gnats so that
> different backends may be used.  In fact, he has already written the
> code to support Oracle and is working on PostgreSQL, currently.  XML
> could certainly be one of those implementations.

Very nice idea! I seen something on TODOs, but you have explained this
for me, thanks. Is this work available anywhere for tests?

> Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> > 1) Add yet another field to Gnats PR structure: ">Encoding:". The Gnats
> >    will use UTF-8, for example, as internal charset encoding.
> Great idea.
> > 2) Use XML as internal format for database processing. This allows use
> > power and simplicity of XML i18n.
> See above.
> I'd love to see this fleshed out.  Does anyone have any driving opinions
> as to which we should pursue.  I don't know how large of an impact #1
> would have on the code base, as I'm not that familiar with it yet.

The GNATS have clear enough API and I think this feature can be added
within minimal work. However, it will depends on two libraries more:
iconv and MIME. But again, IMHO it cost this.

If you approve this work I'll start coding and will publish patches ASAP
just after finishing.

> #2 probably won't happen until we get Mel's new API in place.

Yep, it is. Moreover, charset or language specification is needed in any
case. If new API could handle arbitrary "frontend" (i.e. input PR
format) too, then it would be possible to submit XML reports within any
charset (or even any charset for parts of PR).

Will be waiting for Mel H.

> On a personal note, the delivery date of our first child is quickly
> approaching.  Either my wife will be induced tonight or Friday,
> depending upon how the lab tests turn out later today.  I will likely be
> off the radar for the next couple weeks.

Well, I'm pretty sure anything will be good!


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]