Re: compiling gnats-3.113

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: compiling gnats-3.113
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:24:30 -0500

Sorry for not responding sooner, Barry.  Regarding 3.113, I understand
your desire to move to a newer database.  I'm not sure I can help you
out with trying to compile 3.113 on FC4.  The whole libiberty
infrastructure was ripped out in favor of simply copying the functions
we need.  It made life a lot easier than trying to re-sync with gcc, who
has also moved away from maintaining that library.

The reason for libiberty was to provide functions otherwise missing in
libc libraries on different platforms.  This should not be true on FC4.
I believe it would be possible for you to exclude the libiberty build,
or simply comment out those functions, declarations, or structures
giving you problems.  In this case, strerror.

Moving 3.113 databases generally isn't very painful.  The database
format is the same, essentially.  You won't be in danger of loosing
data, since it's all flat-files.  Just tarball it up, move it over to
your new host, and create a new dbconfig to point to it.  Translate the
changes you made in the old dbconfig to the new, and make some test
runs.

Good Luck!

Chad