help-gnu-arch

Re: [Help-gnu-arch] RFC 1740 Support

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-arch] RFC 1740 Support
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Paul Snively <address@hidden>

    > While it's true that Darwin and, by extension, Mac OS X do
    > support UFS, Apple's preferred, and default, filesystem remains
    > HFS+. Mac OS X bundles can, and do, still contain Mac OS Classic
    > resource files (with the extension .rscs) and the filesystem
    > still supports the various "Finder flags" metadata of old. Even
    > Mac OS X-native GUI CVS clients have to contend with this
    > encoding issue, and RFC 1740--specifically the "AppleSingle"
    > encoding--seems to be the encoding of choice. So integrating it
    > into tla is quite desirable.

It's not clear to me specifically what you are proposing so I can't
really tell whether or not it's a good idea.

    > >    At first glance,
    > > it appears to me that the lower-level configuration details ZeroConf
    > > addresses would be sufficient for arch to operate.

    > In the sense that ZeroConf allows the formation of an emergent network
    > at the local-link level, you're correct. But ZeroConf also most
    > definitely supports the notion of service registration and discovery,
    > and that is precisely the aspect of it that I was referring to: the
    > automatic discovery and registration of arch archives on the local
    > network. Am I still barking up the wrong tree?

Archives are not, for the most part, a network-local service.   It's a
global namespace.

I can imagine esoteric situations where you'd have archives on some
non-Internet subnet and want to register those -- are you actually
facing such a situation in the practice of deploying arch or is this
purely theoretical?

If it is not theoretical, then perhaps it is a problem others will
face as well, in which case we should consider a GPL-compatible
solution.

-t