Re: [Help-gnu-emacs] Emacs config with .Xdefaults

From: Haim [Howard] Roman
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-emacs] Emacs config with .Xdefaults
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:53:45 +0300

        > Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:53:56 -0400
        > From: "John Barnett" <jbarnett@hsc.wvu.edu>
        >
        >  I apparent have done a dumb thing and perhaps you can help
        >  with this one.  I didn't like the small font that emacs
        >  defaulted to - it was too small.  So I thought that I
        >  would, using a book on Emacs to tell me how, change the
        >  default setting for the font to something larger using the
        >  .Xdefaults file - just like the book said I could.  I also
        >  thought, "the worst that can happen is that I need to
        >  change it back to the original settings."  However, to my
        >  horror, when I changed the .Xdefaults file as described in
        >  the book and web site, I keep getting an error message "No
        >  fonts match `-fixed " or what ever I put in there - even if
        >  I restore it to the original script.  I used xrdb to get
        >  the program to recognize the changes in the .Xdefaults
        >  file, as described in a book.  Any idea how to correct this
        >  - I've looked at all the websites and FAQ sites I can find
        >  and nothing works.

I can't see what si dumb about what you did.  I'm not even sure what
you did wrong.  I can only guess.

When you run xrdb, do you use the -load, -override, -merge, or -retain
options?  Of the four, I suggest that you use -load; the others seem
to _leave_ what you did before (I know that -merge does that).

If you manage to restore things to the way they were, then the next
step is to find a font that exists & that you like.  There are several
ways:

        On emacs version 19, hold down on control & right_mouse_button
        at the same time & choose a font.

        On emacs 20, you hold down on shift & left_mouse_button.

        Use xfontsel to select a font you like.  Then use the emacs
        command M-x set-default-font to set emacs to that font, and
        see how you like it.

I won't be around much this week, so I suggest that you reply to the
mailing list instead of to me personally.

Haim (Howard) Roman     |  Computer Center
roman@mail.jct.ac.il    |  Jerusalem College of Technology,  ISRAEL

"My code is 100% Murphy compliant" -- Issac Goldstand