Re: book recommendations?

From: F. Xavier Noria
Subject: Re: book recommendations?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:06:26 +0200

Blair Goodlin wrote:

> I'm just starting to learn Emacs, and was thinking
> about getting myself a book.  I was thinking about
> getting O'Reilly's _Learning GNU Emacs_, but it only
> covers through version 19.30.  Is there that much
> difference between 19.30 and the latest release that
> it would be a bad idea to learn from this book?  Can
> anyone recommend another (better) book?

Once you have read the tutorial and have had a glance at some .emacs
for instance from these sites

   http://www.dotemacs.de
   http://www.dotfiles.com

IMO the better book to learn Emacs is the GNU Emacs Manual itself.
As you surely know, one can read it with Info:

   C-h i m emacs RET,

or get or read it directly at

   http://www.gnu.org/doc/doc.html

One can also buy a printed copy.