(2nd try) imenu function doesn't work when byte-compiled

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: (2nd try) imenu function doesn't work when byte-compiled
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 10:49:10 -0400

[Let me try again, this time removing binary characters from the
backtrace]

Hi,

I'm defining an imenu index creation function similar to
imenu-example--create-lisp-index for a major mode I maintain (see
gri.sourceforge.net; the file is:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gri/gri/gri-mode.el?rev=1.27&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The function works fine if eval'ed, but fails with the following
backtrace if I byte-compile the file:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function (macro
  . #[(prevpos &optional relpos reverse) "[stuff deleted]"
    [relpos reverse prevpos and imenu-scanning-message let pos
    imenu--relative-position if t > + 5 progn
    (message imenu-scanning-message pos) setq (pos)] 11]))
  imenu-progress-message(nil 0 t)
  imenu--create-gri-index()
  imenu--make-index-alist()
  imenu-choose-buffer-index()
  (list (imenu-choose-buffer-index))
* call-interactively(imenu)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

The code works fine when byte-compiled as soon as I comment out
the calls to imenu-progress-message (but then I loose
functionality).

Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
Peter