Re: [ERC] wanna have C-a take me to after prompt..

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [ERC] wanna have C-a take me to after prompt..
Date: 19 Jun 2002 10:57:33 +0900

miles@lsi.nec.co.jp (Miles Bader) writes:
> Completely disagree.  99% of the time you don't want to be inside the
> prompt, and having C-a at the beginning of the line jump there would
> simply be confusing.  For the remaining 1%, it's easy enough to type
> `C-b C-a'.

Oh, and another important point is that it would make C-a `feel wrong':

In normal usage, C-a is an `absolute' movement command -- it jumps to a
fixed point and sticks there -- not a `relative' movement command (like
many other emacs movement commands).  The current operation of C-a in
comint preserves that feeling, which I think is quite important; changing
that makes the command feel kind of flaky (I know because I used emacs for
a while with `C-a moves twice' behavior, when working on the field code
for the minibuffer).

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?