letting *Man xxx* buffers appear when burying other buffers

From: Daniel Barclay
Subject: letting *Man xxx* buffers appear when burying other buffers
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:40:32 -0400

In GNU Emacs 20.7.2, the bury-buffer command treats manual-page
buffers (e.g., *Man xxx*) inconsistently.

Specifically, if you create a manual-page buffer, switch to some
other buffer in that window, and then do:

  M-x bury-buffer RET

you don't get back to the first buffer.  (In other cases, you
would get back to where you were first.)

How can I eliminate the special-case behavior?  (Is there any
configuration variable to set?  How can I find the elisp code
for a command?)

(Is there any chance that anyone else would agree that this
"feature" is a bug?  (Or its being turned on by default.  Or
its being undocumented (in info and in describe-function).

I can imagine that someone got tired of seeing related manual
page buffers after deleting (or burying) source code buffers
and added a special-case fix.

However, behaving specially makes several things inconsistent.

Usually, you can create or raise a number of buffers in
sequence, and then use bury-buffer to return to each previous
buffer.  That was a very useful feature.  There shouldn't be
any reason you can't use that feature with manual page buffers.

Behaving specially for manual pages is also inconsistent with
delete-buffer:  It used to be that both delete-buffer and
bury-buffer left the previous buffer displayed.  Now they
diverge.

If this feature is left in, could it at least by controlled
by some configuration variable (a list of buffer types?)?
(If it isn't already.)

Thanks,
Daniel
--