Re: Emacs 21.2 Frame Parameters

From: 周宁
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2 Frame Parameters
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:32:14 +0800 (CST)

> I recently upgraded to Emacs 21.2.1 and now find that several of my frame
> customizations don't work. In particular, the frame-parameters "top" and
> "left" get ignored.
>
> For example:
> In version 20.7 I used the following command to create a second frame
> positioned all the way to the right of my screen:
> (make-frame '((height . 70) (width . 93) (top . 0) (left . 581)))
>
> under emacs 21.2.1 the command above produces a frame of height=70 and
> width=93 but the windoe is positioned at top=0 and left=0. I get an
> identical result when I try to set "top" or "left" values for the variables
> "special-display-frame-alist" and "default-frame-alist"
>
> Can someone tell me what has changed and how to work around the problem?
>
> I am operating under Redhat Linux 7.3 and I'm using either the Gnome
> interface or a WRQ Reflection Suite for X connection.
>

> "No Single Raindrop Believes It Is Responsible For The Flood" - Despair.com

NTEmacs FAQ says that:
Emacs uses two alists to determine the default appearances of frames, default- frame-alist and initial-frame-alist. The default-frame- alist variable sets the basic defaults of all frames. Since it is a common Emacs usage to have the initial frame have slightly different properties than other frames (e.g., its position), you can use the initial-frame-alist variable to override properties in default-frame-alist specially for the initial frame.
(setq default-frame-alist
'((top . 200) (left . 400)
(width . 80) (height . 40)
(cursor-color . "white")
(cursor-type . box)
(foreground-color . "yellow")
(background-color . "black")
(font . "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")))
^_^

脙芒路脩脫脢脧盲陆隆驴碌脡卤露戮麓贸脨脨露炉拢隆
脨脛露炉虏禄脠莽脨脨露炉 麓贸禄掳脦梅脫脦2.0脙芒路脩虏芒脢脭脰脨
脥酶脪脳路脟鲁拢脛脨脜庐 麓芦碌脻露脤脨脜脟茅赂眉脜篓